Mount Puyehue in Chile, about 460 miles South of here, erupted Saturday, spilling ash all over Southern Chile and Argentina, it was a wonderful show, but deadly. The winds have shifted from blowing the ash to the West over Chile and now are blowing East over Argentina. Buenos Aires airport is now closed until visibility improves and we are waiting for the cloud to come our way.
Our mission doctor in Buenos Aires called our President today and requested all the missionaries to wear face mask when and if, the ash starts coating the ground, so I went out and bought all the face mask I could find which was 75. They have been distributed to all the Zone Leaders (conveniently today was Zone Conference and they were all available). However, having given them all away, I realized we at the office don't have any and will have to go get more tomorrow.
Here we have been waiting for the "big" earthquake and never thought about a volcano, however, all our missionaries are suppose to be prepared with backpacks ready to go "just in case".
After reading up a little on all the volcano's in the Andes, mostly on Chile's side of the mountains, I have read that Chili is one of the most volcanic countries on earth. Thy have over 3,000 volcanoes along their full length and around 80 of them are currently active.
Puyehue had it's last major eruption in 1960 right after a 9.5 earthquake. That is one big earthquake! Actually I read it was the largest recorded earthquake in the history of the world.
We'll let you know more if anything else develops.
Elder and Hermana Packer
Tuesday, June 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment